[OM] Re: [OT-ish] PC vs Mac - A SERIOUS discussion, and opinions wanted

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT-ish] PC vs Mac - A SERIOUS discussion, and opinions wanted
From: Steve Dropkin <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 20:56:18 -0500
Quoting Jon Mitchell <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> So, I'm after opinions.  Advantages & disadvantages.  No flaming, no
> insults hurled (either at people or systems !).  Just honest thoughts on
> what you'd get given the applications I want it for.  And why.  Bear in
> mind I'm (at this stage) proposing running both systems side-by-side and
> exploiting the strengths of each.

I have used both Mac and DOS/Windows machines for years. While I've
usually had
DOS or Windows computers at work, I have _always_ had Macs at home. I fix
people's computer problems all day at work; I never wanted to do that at home.
My home computer is a means to an end, not a hobby unto itself.

That said, for general home-type work and the photo work you want to do, a
Macintosh will do just fine for you, without many of the hassles that
Microsoft
and Intel have inflicted on their customers.

Pluses for Macintosh:

- stronger operating system. I don't doubt that hackers could do some
damage to
the Mac if they tried hard, but the core of the Mac OS is UNIX, which has a
reputation as a secure OS, and, where Microsoft tends to default to "open", OS
X tends to default to "closed" (the safer option). OS X is also less
encumbered
by legacy support than Windows, though that really doesn't apply to you coming
into the platform new.
- better-integrated built-in applications. Every iMac or iBook you buy
will come
with iPhoto, iTunes, iDVD, GarageBand, AppleWorks (like MS Works), Safari (Web
browser with up-to-date features like banning popup windows, a built-in Google
search bar, etc.), and Mail (like Outlook, but integrated more into the
OS with
the Address Book and so on). Sure, you can spend some bucks and get
applications
which are more powerful. But compared to apps like iPhoto or Internet
Explorer,
the Mac's apps are much stronger and better-integrated
- Apple still is strong in the graphics/prepress markets. It still
handles color
better than Windows. Ditto for sound and video, if you're aimed in that
direction.

Minuses for Macintosh:
- you are dealing with an OS that holds about 2-3% of the market.
That's still a
large number of users, but it does mean that many vendors don't feel it
necessary to support Mac users with bundled software, device drivers,
installation instructions, on-line banking compatibility, etc. If there are
requirements you _must_ meet, like banking on-line with a specific bank, or
using a particular accessory (digicam, scanner, etc.) that you don't want to
change out for another one, make sure the OS X support is present and
acceptable.
- Macs _are_ more expensive than the PCs you can buy from the corner shop (the
ones with no names on them), but they are better-built and comparable in both
quality and price to what you'd buy from Dell or HP/Compaq.
- Despite the increasing commonality with PC hardware, there still is
more stuff
out there for PCs. I would suggest you stroll through the Mac
store-within-a-store in a CompUSA or, better, a Microcenter or Apple
Store near
you to get an idea of what's out there and to help decide if that's enough for
you.

I honestly think a Mac can do the job for you with less hassle than you endure
with Windows. But it comes at a (small) price. Plesae feel free to ask
questions and I will try to provide as much help as I can.

Steve