[OM] 4T Auto confusion - display vs. shutter

Subject: [OM] 4T Auto confusion - display vs. shutter
From: ScottGee1 <scottgee1@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 23:46:57 -0400
While making some low light pix with my 4T in Auto mode, I noticed
that even when the display indicates 1/2 second, the shutter responds
according ONLY when I spot meter.  Otherwise, the shutter stays open
much longer.

To eliminate the obvious problem of spot vs. centerweighted bias, I
pointed the camera at an evenly lit wall.  Set f-stop to get 1/2
second exposure on the internal display.  Press spot, release shutter,
sounds like 1/2 second.  Same thing, this time w/o pressing spot and
the exposure is 2.5~3 full seconds.  It's also proportional, i.e., if
the meter display reads 1 second, spot metering seems correct and
after the centerweighted reading the shutter stays open even longer.
And proportionally shorter as well.

Batteries check out well, BTW.

Am I doing something wrong?  Missing something obvious?  Or does the
camera need to go to the doctor?

TIA for your input!/ScottGee1