[OM] Help with sick OM-4 :-(

Subject: [OM] Help with sick OM-4 :-(
From: "Jon Mitchell" <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 22:09:43 +0100
Hi Guys,

It's not often I come up with anything on-topic here, so I hope you all
can forgive my OT ramblings and help with my problem.  If not for me,
then for the sake of my poor, sick OM-4 !!

I moved house last October, and to be honest the cameras haven't been
out of their cases since.  Life has been hectic, and I just haven't had
the time.  Anyway, the nice weather is upon us again (well, except today
!) so I thought I'd get out and take some pictures.  My OM-4 has been
sitting with a roll of nearly-finished Velvia 50 in it since the end of
last September, so I thought I'd finish it off.  Only 4 shots or so
left, and my girlfriend wants to borrow it at the weekend.

So I carefully rotate the shutter dial from the Red "60" position where
it has been resting since September.  Gently squeeze shutter.  Screen
seems strangely blank.  I mean, the picture is there - but no display at
the bottom.  It's been a while, so I assume it's just me being daft.
Then I rotate the dial to the battery check position.  Nothing.

OK, new batteries.  I'm sure I had some around here somewhere.  Oh.
Wait.  I put them in another camera .. !

To cut a long story short (oops, too late !), I tried the batteries from
my OM-10 in the OM-4.  Nothing.  These batteries power up both my OM-10
and OM-2n fine, but the OM-4 stubbornly refuses to respond.

I have the "later" model which turns off after 30 seconds or so if you
leave it on battery check.  It also has the silver battery and MD
covers, despite being a black body (so I assume it isn't a paint problem
restricting the contact).  I've wiggled the little spring, and it seems
fine (the contact at the bottom of the battery well).  No corrosion that
I can see.

So, does anyone have any ideas ?  Obviously, I will get some fresh
batteries tomorrow and check everything again.  But I'd appreciate any
hints on what to check.  I'm not averse to opening up the beast if needs
be (I'm pretty good at working on miniature electronics work - it's part
of my job; mechanics not quite so much so !).  I seem to remember talk
of a common loose wire under the bottom cover ?

I assume that removal of the bottom cover would expose the film ?  If so
I'll just sacrifice the last 4 shots (or go "Red 60" and take a few -
this will work, right ?).

Right, plenty of questions.  Thanks loads if anyone (or everyone !) can
help.

Jon