[OM] Re: [OT] Any virus checker recommendations?

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Any virus checker recommendations?
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 16:48:28 +0100
Hmm, if you have never had a virus, Donald, apart from being lucky, you
haven't any way of knowing how good AVG is!  Not that I have any way either,
but I have, over years of using McAfee, intercepted more viruses than
corporate AV policies have (at the time they were using Dr Solomon, RIP).

Others tell me that McAfee imposes a terrible overhead on the PC - I have no
way of knowing.  I can tell you that it works to my satisfaction, and has
not let any nasties through (yes, there have been several).

But I find that McAfee online purchasing and licence renewal via Digital
River is appalling - not easy to get what you want (just a licence upgrade,
not a new product), and amongst the worst when it comes to getting a refund
(because they contrived to "sell" me BOTH the renewal and the new product).
Despite me cancelling the moment the "confirmation" arrived, they still
charged me, and it's now two months, and waiting for the refund I have been
promised more than once.

So *I* shall be looking for recommendations too!

Meantime, I strongly recommend that you look at products that cover Adware
as well as pure viruses.  Trying to get rid of Adware can make virus
clean-ups look child's play.

--
Piers