[OM] Was: First show off picture. Now: Acknowledgment and encouragement

Subject: [OM] Was: First show off picture. Now: Acknowledgment and encouragement
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 08:21:44 EST

In a message dated 3/31/2005 11:54:18 PM Central Standard Time,
agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Thank  you.  Really, THANK YOU!  It was your sample CD-ROM that
put me  back in the Olympus camp. I was ready to bail and just go
to another brand  altogether.

For the record, this particular photo mono converted (red)  and
was pretty easy to work with. Well, ok, it took multiple layers
with  tons of tricks to "enhance" it somewhat. 8x10 prints that I
printed tonight  have ZERO sharpening added of any kind and they
rock!  Not too shabby  for digital output. The web version was
resized to 25% of original and  simple sharpening added to
correct the inherent fuzz of resizing.  All  processing was done
in Gimp 2.2.

Thank you for the acknowledgment.  The work on the CD was done over a  day or
so and probably represents less than a couple of hours of set up and
shooting time.  I wonder if Olympus did much, if any, of this type of
demonstrating
with pros who were using OM gear.  I love my digital  Zuiko lenses, however
the OM stable of lenses is certainly a valuable resource  for the system.

For any fence sitters out there, I would say you don't have to be a
techno-genius to get great results from digital.  Ken is not only a  wonderful
photographer but also a master technician.  These attributes  are evidenced in
both
his film and digital work.  It would be rather  depressing to me to think I
would have to get to the level of expertise of  many of the list members to
enjoy
owning a digital camera.  I am constantly  inspired by the work done by
others, while enjoying my own endless journey of  discovery.  Each day brings
me
little surprises as I take little baby  steps on the path.  Day before
yesterday, it was spending a little time  going through the steps of sharpening
an
image and seeing that with a delicate  touch, one can really get it "right" or
enhance the end results.  Today's  challenge will be to upgrade the firmware or
software or whatever it that  is bouncing around inside my e-1.  That has not
been done in the year or so  since I took the e-1 out of its box and started
creating images with it.   This is a little scary for one who knows he is
capable of screwing things  up. Oh, well . . .

Regardless of your capture media I would encourage each of you to  challenge
the life of your shutter, make some mistakes, continue learning, enjoy  the
work of others, publish your work to the Universe and most of all enjoy  the
journey.  I've found in doing so I produce some images which "wow" me  and
these
activities fuel my enjoyment of all areas of my life.  I find  that I
experience growth the more I immerse myself in the water, the more I put  my
work in
front of others and the more I swim at the deep end of the  pool.  So jump on
in, you won't drown.

Now which part is it I stick in the camera and where does that other  part
attach to the computer . . .

Bill Barber