[OM] Re: Lens and film comments (long)

Subject: [OM] Re: Lens and film comments (long)
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 01:15:55 -0300
on 23/03/2005 10:04, Brian Swale at bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, wrote:

> The "new" fungousy 85-250 Zuiko proved to be a honey to use. Easy to
> focus, and sharp on a tripod + OM4Ti self-timer.  Contrast seems low at this
> point in time. Once cleaned, this one should be a keeper, even if it ends up
> being used for "close-to-car" use only (2 pounds to carry anywhere). Oddly,
> the substantial weight probably is a bonus for image resolution. I had to
> swap the clamp-handle side on the mounting ring since it fouled the Winder
> 2 which I often add to increase mass.
Brian,

Congratulations for your idea of a photo essay reinforcing your 10 min talk.
Quite agree, the 85~250 is quite a zoom.
My experience:
1- easy to focus: yes , especially with a 1-10 and an ugly 1-8 I happen to
own. Tip: zoom all the way to 250, focus and then zoom back to desired
composition. Useful especiallly with 1-8.
2- sharp (well I seldom use handheld any lens longer than 28mm, as I seldom
use faster than ISO 100 film): I try to get to f11, but it's sharp enough at
f5.
3- contrast: hope cleaning will improve this issue. I find contrast is a tad
better than the 200/4 @ 200mm - comparison made at f11 on Provia 100F.
4- Last but not least: Cannot understand what's happening when using winder
2. All I have to do is to turn the Manfrotto head 180 degrees to mount 2n
body & winder with just enough clearance.

HTH,

Fernando.