[OM] Lens and film comments (long)

Subject: [OM] Lens and film comments (long)
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 00:04:11 +1200
Hi all,

This week I had some specific shots to take, so decided to use a range of
lenses.

Also, my favourite photo shop is selling 2003 dated Agfa Vista 100 asa  27
shot (24+3) at $USD 2 a roll; so considering GeeBee uses Vista with great
results I thought I'd try a roll.  I'm happy with this first roll at 5 x 7.5
inches
prints.

The shots all related to a local park of open spaces and trees on a steep hill.

A developer wants to build 10 town houses on an adjoining section and put it
to the City Council that a LOT of the park trees should be felled for "safety,
aesthetic and shelter" reasons. House constructors do NOT like trees
nearby. The Council Parks people, wimps that they are, agreed with the
developer proposals (there were a lot of ideas).

So I made submissions both written and verbal to the local Community
Board (part of the City Council). Today was the verbal submissions day and i
had decided to make a photo essay to reinforce the verbal points I had
written out to make. 10 minutes max for talking. 1,600 words or less I figured.

The shots I did were from a distance,  to set the scene and establish the
park in its neighbourhood; then detail shots inside the park.

Of course, with trees (many pines) the images were challenged by being
contrasty.

I found that for many shots, despite wanting to use mainly primes, zoom
lenses saved the day. With primes often there just was not room to move to
get optimum framing.

The "new" fungousy 85-250 Zuiko proved to be a honey to use. Easy to
focus, and sharp on a tripod + OM4Ti self-timer.  Contrast seems low at this
point in time. Once cleaned, this one should be a keeper, even if it ends up
being used for "close-to-car" use only (2 pounds to carry anywhere). Oddly,
the substantial weight probably is a bonus for image resolution. I had to
swap the clamp-handle side on the mounting ring since it fouled the Winder
2 which I often add to increase mass.

My Zuiko 35-105 is still a champ. Easy to focus and sharp as a tack. I
seldom make mistakes with this one. Contrasty. Zoom grease is getting stiff
after 25 years use. Still a favourite lens.

This was a day to give the Tokina AT-X 24-40 f/2.8 a work-out.  This is a
large lens about the same size and weight as the Zuiko 100/2.  It is also very
sharp, but many of the prints had a big blue smudge bang in the middle. I
definitely remember one shot somewhat into the sun and I KNOW I shaded
the glass with my hand, and still the blue smudge. Also in a shot with the
sun behind the camera. Odd. The lens is quite clean, by the way.

The Zuiko 35/2 is still a puzzle to me. It looks as though it will take some
learning to use, as the Zuiko 100/2 does. It is very contrasty, which
sometimes is a problem. But my main problem is getting and keeping it in
focus. I am impressed with the results GeeBee gets, so I'll keep trying!

Other Zuiko wide-angles remained great to use when the framing was OK.

The Sigma 16mm fisheye doesn't give a good look with straight trees unless
one is trying to act the fool. Not suitable for a serious presentation !!

Samyang 18-24 was OK as far as it goes though. It is rectilineal at 18mm.

 I learned was that if trying to get a lot of shots in a hurry, repeatedly
testing
several primes (24, 28, 35, 40) to get optimum framing in a tight spot just
takes a lot of time. One zoom and you get the framing done in 2 seconds.

Lastly, for some scenes, clearly there is a place for lenses that have low
contrast. With contrasty lenses, something gets lost.  One shot I took with
the 35/2 had bright white surf and dark pines. I didn't use the print.

Brian