[OM] (OM) Increased uncertainties on auction sites

Subject: [OM] (OM) Increased uncertainties on auction sites
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 12:03:40 +1300
Hi all,

It is increasingly apparent that things are changing on the auction sites.

Some people have chosen at least one major site as THE means of making
either some or all their income through activity there. This means that they
try to and do sell stuff they have NO idea about. For example is one current
seller on Yabe who is selling an Olympus focussing screen. This person has
NO idea that there are two series of screens and the first series alone has 14
different models to chose from.

Others sell on behalf, and again they may have NO idea about the finer
points are of what they are selling. Also, if asked a question, will fudge the
answer because the do not have the actual item beside them. So that even if
they understood the question (which many do not) they cannot look to
answer.  I have encountered at least 3 this week who described the label on
the attached filter as being the model of the  lens.

This week I won what could be entered as my fang for the week ( a Zuiko 85-
250 for NZ$68 (= USD 50)   Can't make that claim until I get it tho'.

I didn't really need it, but far better it goes to a Zuikoholic home at that
price
than another - and in any case one of my two offspring can also try it out.
=|;-)>

It was being auctioned on behalf and I could not get good answers to my
questions for the reasons above. They suggested courier delivery, which I
agreed to despite the higher cost since I did not trust them to pack this large
lens well enough for snail mail postal services.

It turns out the actual owner works at a school which gets lots of courier
traffic, so using courier suits them, if not me. I was not sent the track and
trace number. 12 hours short of a week after pick-up, I have not got the lens
even though it should have been a 24-hour matter.  I did some sleuthing and
phoned the auction seller (surprise, surprise), who agreed to find out from the
school friend what the track&trace number is, and e-mail me. 18 hours later,
still no number.

I have no (= little) doubt I'll get the lens eventually, but without the T&T
number cannot even ask Courier-post where the hell it actually is right now.

Then there's this little beauty. On a local auction the seller listed among
other things, that the aperture was for sale.

Having closely examined the photos, I asked; "Is that black rubbery-looking
thing to the left of the camera (in the photo) with a chrome clamping screw,
the aperture?"

"Yes", I was solemnly told, "that is the aperture".

See    http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.asp?id=23833447

Brian