[OM] List-mum-stuff

Subject: [OM] List-mum-stuff
From: Thomas Clausen <T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 14:34:33 +0100
Folks,

A lot of bounces (spring break? Everybody gone skiing with a hard quota
on their mailboxes?), so I put a bunch of people on "vacation". If
someone complains that "I haven't gotten my daily dosage from the
OM-list", then you may have the answer why here ;)

More precisely, and for general information to the list, here's the
algorithm I follow when I do get bounces:

        - non-permanent error (timeout, over quota) for ~24h
                -> indefinite vacation  -> fixable through simple "unset
vacation" by
user
                -> small email to notify
                    (may or may not get through -- some ISP's allow "small"
emails
even when over quota)

        - permanent error ("no such user", "account suspended" and such...")
                -> unsubscribe          -> fixable through resubscribe

        - intermittent errors ("this email is spam" and the like)
                -> email to notify account-holder to enthusiastically apply
four-by-six to ISP
                -> typically indefinite vacation or digest until problem
resolved,
after notice sent to account-holder.

Of course, with me being only human, I may not execute this perfectly
every time ;) But I try to follow the general outline above.

Cheers,

The List Mum