[OM] Re: Olympus 35 SP

Subject: [OM] Re: Olympus 35 SP
From: "Simon Worby" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 08:17:06 -0000
Yefei He wrote:

>   Does anybody know how to turn the meter of Olympus 35 SP
> off? The metering cell is located to the left of the viewfinder
> window so the usual way of putting on the lens cap doesn't work.
> Do I have to put the camera back into the everyready case to
> turn the meter off?

It doesn't turn off.

The CdS sensor changes resistance. When very dark it has very high
resistance, thus virtually no battery drain occurs. When light, there is
significant battery drain.

Therefore, the way to "turn off" the SP meter is to put the camera in
the dark, or in its case. (The same also applies to the OM-1(N), except
that it has an ON-OFF switch, which is even better.)

Note that due to the location of the sensor, just putting a lens cap on
will NOT prevent battery drain.

Even with regular use, but with the camera replaced in the dark between
uses, the single battery should last well over a year.

If you intend to store the camera for some time, you should remove the
battery -- a wise precaution in any case.

Regards,

Simon