[OM] Cases question

Subject: [OM] Cases question
From: "Simon Worby" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 09:29:24 -0000
I am very confused by cases. There appear to lots of different cases
through the times, some of which are on eSIF, some of which appear not
to be, and I could do with some clarification. (Camera cases only, not
lens cases.)

1. "Soft cases": I've never come across these, but I understand there
was one that fitted with the Winder attached. No real query here, except
to ask for confirmation that they "feel" and look like the soft lens
cases.

2. "Semi-Hard Cases", "Hard Cases" and "Cases for OM-10-40". This is
where it gets really complicated.
A. Are the hard cases really hard? Or are they just leather and "harder"
than vinyl ones? How does one tell a "hard" case?
B. There is a brown vinyl case with an extra "flap" at the back with the
2 fixing studs, which cracks and goes white in the cracks. Is there also
a brown vinyl one without that "flap", and is it of better quality? (Or
am I just describing the "hard" case?)
C. There appear to be several black vinyl ones: some with embossed
OLYMPUS, some with chrome stuck-on OLYMPUS. Were these the OM10-40 ones?
Or did they also come with OM-1's and 2's? What came with the 3 and 4
and 3Ti and 4T/Ti (or at the same era)?
C. There also appears to be a black vinyl one with a coarser grain,
which screws on into the tripod mount, rather than using lugs over the
carrying rings. What is the origin of this case?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks in advance for answers.

Simon