[OM] Re: Question about Zuiko Macro Lens

Subject: [OM] Re: Question about Zuiko Macro Lens
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 21:14:01 -0800
Wayne Harridge wrote:

>The 80/4 could be attached to a body using the fixed tubes, not sure if that
>will allow
>infinity focus though - would have to check that when I get home.  You could
>also try
>the reverse adapter (like Bill Barber was offering), might work, though as the
>80/4 is
>optimised for 1:1 neither of these options are likely to be very good at
>infinity.

The original question was about using it for normal picture taking. I
guess that to mean something like focusing from infinity to maybe 2-3
ft. without any mounting, unmounting or other fancy shenanigans. Yes,
there are other ways to mount it than the bellows or 65-116, but they
can't be considered suitable for normal picture taking.

Since you are getting all exotic, one might note that there are two
versions of the 80/4. The original, manual one has no focusing
capability at all, so finding a tube length for anything further away
that can be focused on with the bellows, is quite problematic.

The later Auto 80/4 has a very short focusing helicoid like the 135/4.5,
but it will not cover a very wide focal range, no matter what tube it is
mounted on. It's really only there for fine adjustment after the 65-116
is set about right.

Moose