[OM] Re: FT 600/6.5 for 1000/11

Subject: [OM] Re: FT 600/6.5 for 1000/11
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 15:27:19 -0800 (PST)
I babysat a 600/6.5 for a few months back in 2001 when a list
member went to Palmyra.  I was duly impressed with the chrome.
These monsters have more chrome than a '63 Cadillac.

I found it to be exceptionally sharp!  However, extremely
vibration prone.  I eventually found a technique for shooting
with it that resulted in, maybe, 25% usable exposures.  Toughest
lens I've ever tried to hold steady.  I doubt I'd ever purchase
a lens that long without vibration reduction.

Focusing these beasts is odd. Very odd. The rack and pinion
focusing is really tough to use on anything moving faster than a
building.  I like this lens for "lockdown" applications where
you focus on a treebranch, for example and wait for a bird to
land.

The most fun I had with it, though, was down in Gatlinburg
Tennessee. I wanted to get a night picture of the strip.
However, with traffic pretty well stopped both directions, I
went out to the centerline, set up my tripod, plopped the
600/6.5 with OM-4 and winder on my 3021.  Kinda a cool
shot--exposure was a bit off, but what fun.  Passerbys would ask
"are you a professional?"

"Nah, I just carry around 35 pounds of camera equipment down
here for fun."

When traffic moved, the pavement vibration would make picture
taking impossible.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com