[OM] Re: WTB: OM-1 viewing screen with grid

Subject: [OM] Re: WTB: OM-1 viewing screen with grid
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 09:57:18 -0500
Mike said:

Rather than mess with one of those overpriced IMHO hotshoe levels of
dubious value why not just use something like this mounted on a flat
plate slightly larger than the base of the camera?

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&cat=1,43513&p=51109

The plate could be mounted directly to the camera's base or inserted
between the camera and tripod head.

Simple, cheap and more accurate.

I have a bullseye level very similar to this one bought at Sears a few
years ago for (as best I recall) about USD 3.50.  I think I've seen
similar ones at Lowe's as well.  Probably a pretty common and
inexpensive hardware store item.

The base diameter of mine is 1-5/8" (43mm).  After filing a small "V"
shaped notch in the plastic base to clear the brass button on the
mounting plate latch you will find that this drops directly into the
mounting plate recess on a Manfrotto 3030 tripod head so that you can
level the head.

Both of my OM-2s's have 2 series screens with JH applied grids.  The
Minolta A1 also has electonically generated grids and grids are my first
choice in aligning the camera.  Second choice is leveling the tripod
head with the bullseye level.  Last choice is the 2-axis Hama hotshoe
level which I also own.  Nice tool but, as has already been pointed out,
few hotshoes are themselves level.

The fact that the E-1 has a grid screen available gnaws at my decision
to (probably) purchase a C*an*n 20D instead.  The M*n*lt* 7D also has a
grid screen available but I got conflicting info from different sources
as to whether the screen was user changeable.   I suspect that it is not
since B&H does not list it.  They do, however, list the Oly FS-2 grid
screen and screens for the M*xx*m 9 film body.

Chuck Norcutt