[OM] Re: WTB: OM-1 viewing screen with grid

Subject: [OM] Re: WTB: OM-1 viewing screen with grid
From: "Jeff Keller" <jeff.olympus@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 13:49:57 -0800
The hotshoe level gives a good indication of horizontal in one axis even
when the other axis is far from level: example you're pointed up at the top
of a tall building and want the left-right axis horizontal.

The hotshoe level also lets you flip to portrait orientation and then level
one or two axis.

The bull's-eye level could give a reasonable single axis level indication
when the other axis was not level if it had crosshairs engraved/painted on
it.

The long focusing rails are often used with L-quick release plates. Both
landscape and portrait use often keeps the focusing rail level left to
right.

A quick check of half a dozen OM's with permanently attached hot shoe found
only one that was not level. Checking two OM2 cameras with a removable shoe
showed one very accurate the other off by perhaps a degree or two.

The hot shoe level seems to be priced high for a bit of plastic but it's
worth $30 to me. If I didn't use a tripod regularly it wouldn't be.

-jeff