[OM] Re: eos350d

Subject: [OM] Re: eos350d
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 16:01:43 -0800
AG Schnozz wrote:

>I see the 350D killing the 2/3" sensor format more than hurting
>the DSLR universe.  Price/performance/Features as well as size.
>The 8MP 2/3" cameras are in trouble.

Some effect, sure. In trouble, not yet. The body is there, but where are
the lenses? The prosumers have 7x to 12x zooms, some with IS, for the
price of a DSLR body. To really imact that part of the market, the entry
DLSRs need at least something like an 18-125mm zoom (28-200 35mm eq.).
Can*n's 17-85 EF-S IS (27-136 eq.) is a step in the right direction, but
at US$600 list is as expensive without a body as some good whole 8mp
prosumers cameras.

But, as you say elsewhere, body and 7x or better zoom for under $1,000
can't be too far away. It's already about there for those of us who are
happy with no wide angle, but that's not the heart of the market.

Moose