[OM] Re: Fuji black & white film

Subject: [OM] Re: Fuji black & white film
From: tom_f77@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 09:50:33 GMT
>Does anyone have experience of using Fuji Neopan 'ACROS' 100 ISO black and
>white negative film and can comment on its characteristics?

>John Hudson

I use it in 35mm and 120 and use 2-bath development.  I started out using
homebrewed diafine, which worked pretty well, but recently switched to Barry
Thornton's Diluxol Vitesse, which is giving me really nice results.  I also use
a lot of Tri-x with the same developer with good results, particularly in window
light, but the Acros gives far "snappier" contrast outside in daylight without
ever really blowing out in this developer.  It was coming in around ASA 80 in
the diafine, but it's more like 160 in the Diluxol Vitesse (which I can't
recommend too highly - really nice tones with far better separation in both
highlights and shadows with both these films that I was getting before).

None of this will be all that useful to you unless you're interested in two-bath
development and the easy life it can bring, but Acros is really nice if you
are...  I do intend to evangelise about this a lot more once I have a scanner
and can offer up some samples!

Tom