[OM] B&H versus eBay

Subject: [OM] B&H versus eBay
From: "Dean C. Hansen" <hanse112@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 20:11:22 -0800
    First, my apologies for the "heads up" on the Vivitar 2X
teleconverter.  I didn't realize that there was a big difference between
that and the Vivitar 2X macro focusing teleconverter.  Sorry.
    Anyway, I had been looking for a T28 Macro Twin Flash 1, with the T
Power Control and, of course, that hard-to-find Flash Shoe Ring.  I
followed ebay for weeks, posted a WTB on the list, and checked at a
local swap meet.  No luck.  In fact, just the Flash Shoe Ring went on
eBay for, IIRC, around $150.  Comparing eBay and B&H, I found this
interesting:  Olympususa currently lists a NIB T 28 Macro Twin Flash 1
unit (i.e., just the two flashes (well, and the box)) on eBay for a
$349.00 BIN.  Does he get any takers?  The same unit is in stock at B&H
for $190, or fully $159 cheaper.  B&H also listed a used "T28 with T
Power Control", although the web site didn't fully explain what was
included.  So I phoned a salesman at B&H and ended up buying a very nice
complete, though used, outfit for $249:  the two flashes, the Power
Control, AND the flash shoe ring.  OK, no fang, but it's complete, they
take visa, they ship promptly, and they stand behind what they sell.  I
think this beats at least some sellers on our favorite auction site.
KEH also advertised a similar used set-up, for $235, but it was missing
the all-important flash shoe ring.  So it was no bargain.
Lesson learned:  lots of stuff gets onto eBay, but I'll check B&H before
hitting that "Buy It Now" button there.  I'd certainly buy from B&H
again.
Dean