[OM] EVOLT

Subject: [OM] EVOLT
From: Willie Wonka <alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 14:48:15 -0800 (PST)
Just read another EVOLT review, this time from the editors of Photographic.
This kinda confirms my impression that this camera is not as bad as this list
generally thinks.
It seems like the body is more rugged than it looks, takes excellent pictures
when light is in abundance.  Actually they think that it is best in any sub
$2000 camera they ever tested.  I don't know what they mean by most other
cameras having trouble with white birds in bright sun, but according to them
the EVOLT was as good as the best.  Also, they pointed out the "outstanding"
dynamic range.
Low light is another story.  AF does not work well and the ESP is not accurate.
 If you don't shoot in low light, you might want to take another look.
For some reason, this kamera reminds me of the OM PC.  I wander if they ever
bothered to improve on the ESP.  From own experience and from just being on
this list, I know that it is not reliable during low light (but outstanding
otherwise, I have tested it during some tricky situations and it performed
well).
After the initial revolts here on the list, I disqualified it, but now it is
back on the list.  I have narrowed it down to Minolta A2/200 or EVOLT.  For
some reason, the E1 bugs me, the only thing I can say is that it is not an OM
(you know what I mean).  I own an OM PC and the EVOLT strikes me like a
slightly improved version of it.
Ciao
Boris