[OM] Re: [OT] Printing Advice

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Printing Advice
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 09:08:54 -0500
Boris asked:
 From PS or PWP, how can I specify the size and the resolution to the
printer, or how can I resize the picture and save it as 5X5cm and 300dpi.
I suspect that your main problem is that you are trying to print in a
square format starting with a photo which is probably not square.
First, fix the aspect ratio by cropping the photo such that it's square.
  Do this step without regard to size or resolution.  Then resize the
cropped photo to 5cm x 5cm and desired resolution.

In PW Pro:
Transformation -> Geometry -> Crop/Add Border
Then use the "Proportions" pull-down and select "square".  That will
constrain the crop lines to be the same size horizontally and vertically
regardless of how you adjust them sizewise.  Position and size the crop
lines and then press "OK" on the crop dialog box.

With this new image selected do:
Transformation -> Geometry -> Resize
Then, in the resizing dialog box
1) set the resolution to 300 or whatever is desired.  You may not
actually need that much for a good print but use it if it's there.
2) set the unit of meausure pull-down to "cm"
3) set the height and width to 5.00
4) press "OK" and then save and rename the image.  This is the one to
feed to the printer.

Note: be sure to set the resolution first.  If you set the size first
and then set the resolution the program will change the size again to suit.

email me off list is you still have a problem.

Chuck Norcutt