[OM] Re: I've Waited Long Enough (Long post, only for the brave)

Subject: [OM] Re: I've Waited Long Enough (Long post, only for the brave)
From: "Simon Worby" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 18:56:56 -0000
Joshua Lohuis wrote:

> Does anybody have any reccomendations for a light meter model that is
> economical and well suited to night/low light photography?

I don't know how low is low, but the Lunasix F EV -1 to +17 at ISO 100/21°.
It's a nice meter and will only set you back about 100 $US.

> How much stability does a monopod actually provide?

Some.

> Does it permit exposures of a second or more,

I would say no.

> or is it only to allow a few more stops less than handheld?

A couple, perhaps?

> Is a monopod worth lugging around, or is it better to go with a
> tripod or stick to trees, buildings, etc.?

I'd say tripod. I'd go with a monopod for handheld-type photography when there
just isn't quite enough light and you can't use flash.

> Any suggestions for models, heads, combos?

I have a Slik 88N. It's old but beautifully built. It's heavier than modern
ones, but the additional weight is a plus in use (but a minus for carrying it
around!)

> 3.  Are there any sources for the mercury batteries used in the OM-1?

I wouldn't be surprised if you ask nicely that someone on the list might be
able to help. I have some, but you could do with someone more local...

Of course, with OM-1n and a light meter, you don't need the camera's one
(indeed, if you don't mind the hassle, you'll get better photos using an
external light meter).

Regards,

Simon