[OM] Re: Analog Forever

Subject: [OM] Re: Analog Forever
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 03:11:43 -0800
C.H.Ling wrote:

>I never reference to this web site, starting from C*non D30 they already
>said it was better than slide, I still remember at that time they were using
>the 100-400 L lens for testing. I also don't think the 3200dip scanner can
>be better than my 4000ED in resolution and their comment about their 3200dpi
>scanner is as good as film is just BS.

Sorry, I forgot which scanner they used. You can get a sort of
cocmparison of the Flextight to an LS4000 in the photo-i review of the
Epson 4870. On one page there is a direct comparison of flextight and
4870 and a couple of pages later a 4870 to LS4000 comparison. The
Flextight is pretty good, but not up to the LS4000.

>Anyway, based on my experience I don't think 1Ds' resolution can be better
>than slide when both are using a good lens. Especially the edge resolution for
>WA, the digital really suffer.

Pop Photo didn't say what lens(es) they used to reach their conclusion. They
did say the highest resolution film they have tested is color neg. You may
disagree, but remember they are only talking about resolution, not grain, etc.
I certainly don't know. Maybe there will be more info on the web version when
it's available.

Moose