[OM] Re: Tri-X pan 120 film

Subject: [OM] Re: Tri-X pan 120 film
From: BllPear@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 13:55:21 -0500
John,

Just imagine if this was color, as Kodak considers changing names and packaging
as R&D!

A visit to the kodak website may be in order. I believe that this
"professional" version is now discontinued. I believe that the professional
versions of Plus-X and Tri-X were made to better allow for hot lights, but I'm
getting old, you know.

According to the article in Photo Techniques by Dick and Sylvia somebody, the
inventors of Xtol, the new version of Tri-X is both finer grained than the old
version, and the new version of Tmax.

I would try either Xtol or DDX with this, if grain is a concern (some people
consider current higher speed films to be unacceptably grainy, but they are
often less so than the slower speed films when we started), or, for a
distinctive look, rodinal.

I believe the current version is 400TX. The last version before the plant move
was Tri-X 400. In any event, grain will be a minimal concern with 120.

The APX 25 is going for some bucks now on the evil site. Before I wasted time
with the Kodachrome, I would call Dwayne's and see if they still process that
size, as it is long discontinued. If they are using one of the Kodak
"minilabs," it might only do 8 and 35mm. Ah, and Plus-X! I shoot bricks of that
stuff every year. the tonality isn't as good as Verichrome Pan, but it's close!

Bill Pearce

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.