[OM] anyone with opinions on Mamiya 645 or Bronica 645 cameras?

Subject: [OM] anyone with opinions on Mamiya 645 or Bronica 645 cameras?
From: Matthew Born <mborn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 11:14:25 -0500
Dunno much about the Bronica, but I have a Mamiya 645e (the entry level 645
w/o an interchangeable back) and I can vouch for the exceptional quality of
the images it makes. I think the Mamiya lenses are super, by and large.
There are several leaf shutter lenses that will sync at any speed and are
terrific portrait lenses. There's also a soft-focus lens, a 140 I think,
about which I've heard very good things. It has been discontinued for some
time and is out there for about $120 or so. I have filed away in the back of
my mind quotes from a few Mamiya users who rave about it as a portrait lens.
I own and use the 45, 80, and 150, and love each of them. The 'e' is a
simple, stripped down little tank, though it has the features I wanted most
(mirror lock up, exposure compensation in one third stops, and shutter
speeds of 1, 2, and 4 seconds...I tend to take a lot of long exposures).
Unlike some 645s, the format is landscape when held "normally," which I
greatly prefer. I understand that the AF 645s have, among other advantages,
an improved metering system. (Personally, I use a handheld most of the
time.) The ones with interchangeable backs will also, at least in theory,
keep the film flatter -- though I've never witnessed any problem in that
area with the insert. The newer AF-D is still pretty spendy, even used, but
it does support the digital backs, which might make it make sense in a long
term investment outlook. I believe any of the 645s can use any of the 645
lenses, excepting, of course that the manual bodies can't use the AF lenses.
Well, maybe they can, but they can't autofocus :). I think they all take
backs except the 'e' and the oldest M645 and M645 1000.

Matthew Born