[OM] A digital mystery cleared up . . . but I had always done it that wa

Subject: [OM] A digital mystery cleared up . . . but I had always done it that way!
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 11:47:02 EST
Well, after slightly less than a year of super slow (22 minute) downloads
from my 1 gig 40X CF card for the e-1, the clouds have parted and I  see the
light.  Heck, the Jumpshot reader Lexar had given me with my card  seemed to
work
fine, but for some reason it was really slow.  I just  figured it was like
its owner . . .

I recently bought a 2 gig 80X card and when I could not get my reader to
recognize it so I could download the Image Rescue software that came with it, I

just figured that once again I was being challenged by this *%$#&@ machine.  I
just went ahead and put the card in my camera, formatted it and shot  away.
No problem until I tried to download my images.  No can  do.  Oh, %$#&.  Well,
now I have to contact Lexar tech  support.  What a joy that was on the phone
and live on the  Internet.  I finally just emailed them and got some help.
The "free"  reader won't read the 80X card.  Hmmm, I'm supposed to figure that
out. Having been born a few years prior to the midway point of the last
century, it just doesn't always work that way.

Got in my 4wd SUV and drove over to my friendly Comp USA (but it could  have
been any of the stores like this) and found no one who had a clue if  the
readers they sold would read my card.  They also offered no help about  how to
get
the answer.  After a day or so of being honked off, I went back  and bought a
Lexar multi-card reader.  It works like a champ, taking about  2 minutes to
download 1 gig of images.  Now I remember why "free",  seldom is.  Bill Barber