[OM] Re: Aurora Australis (OT)

Subject: [OM] Re: Aurora Australis (OT)
From: Marc Lawrence <mlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 09:27:54 +1100
> Terry and Tracey [mailto:olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] wrote:
> Thanks Marc. I went out last night and didn't see anything.
> Tonight is covered in cloud.
>
> Do you subscribe to the aurora alerts from IPS?

No...but having just done a Google on it, I'm about
to. Thanks. One of the my "101 Things to do before
I die" (Did anyone else see that 'New Scientist'
booklet?) is see the Aurora from somewhere close
to the polar regions (the South, or  Jukkasjârvi in
Sweden would be nice :) ). I'm not helping my chances
of seeing "Australis" by being likely to move to north
to Queensland in the next view years.

> Andrew L Wendelborn [mailto:andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
> Got set up to go out last night -- thunderstorms all night!

We had the same here in Sydney. I know partly because one of
my favourite photographic subjects, Monty, stayed under the
coffee table all night (a nifty trick, because he's a larger
dog and it's a low table).

> Tonight we have light cloud here, but will set off soon to
> drive inland away from the city for an hour or so hoping for
> clear skies.

Best of luck!

> Here is an idea of what has been seen not too far from here:
> http://www.yp-connect.net/~mmatti/_private/aurora_australis%20
> page1.htm

It's all more incentive to consult my personal "101 things"
book. :)

Cheers
Marc
Sydney, Oz