[OM] (OT) Guthrie's lost songs (was Re: Re: [photo] Winter 1)

Subject: [OM] (OT) Guthrie's lost songs (was Re: Re: [photo] Winter 1)
From: jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 13:17:03 -0600
I believe these are the songs that Bob Dylan described in
his autobiography ('Chronicals, V. 1' -- very interesting
reading).  Dylan went to NY initially in part to see Woody
Guthrie.  He was told that boxes of his songs were in his
house somewhere out on Long Island (I think) and went to
fetch them at Woody's prompting.  Dylan showed up at the
door (mentioned that he saw the young Arlo -- about 11 at
the time) and asked about them but was told there weren't
any boxes of that kind there.  He took no for an answer.

Depending on what you think of Dylan's work, this might be
viewed as an intervention of Destiny.  He'd probably have
spent his time working up Guthrie's songs rather than
writing his own.  I happen to think that would have been a
very great loss.

Elsewhere I heard another story of Dylan's being turned away
at the door.  He and Joan Baez were traveling together and
he went into a hotel they were to stay at and asked if there
were a reservation for Joan Baez.  He was told "no."  He
went back to tell this to Baez, and she walked in and
inquired about the reservation and they welcomed her and
said "Of course we have your reservation."  That night Dylan
wrote "When the Ship Comes In" -- a somewhat apocalyptical
song, one among many and almost always his best sort of work.

Joel W.