[OM] Re: [photo] Winter 1

Subject: [OM] Re: [photo] Winter 1
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 16:24:40 +0000
Yeah, Richard, I was reading.  I enjoyed the link, too.  Thanks.

As an aside, for any who may also be an admirer of Arlo's dad, Woody, one of my
favorite CDs is, strange as it may seem, "Mermaid Avenue" by a British rock
group, Billy Bragg & Wilco.  The story behind the album is told, in part, by
these bits from the liner notes:

"Despite the fact that his recording career was more or less over by 1947, he
carried on writing songs until he became too ill to hold a pencil.  The last
years of his life were spent in the Brooklyn State Hospital, and when he died
in 1967, the tunes that he had dreamt up for those hundreds of unrecorded
songs, tunes he had carried in his head all his life, were lost forever."

"Woody's daughter Nora Guthrie apaproached me in the spring of 1995 with the
idea of writing some new music to accompany these lost songs."

And that's what this surprisingly wonderful album is all about.  I recommend it
highly.

Oh, and nice shot!  I have to drive 150 miles to find snow.  :-(

Walt

--
"You can't have a light without a
dark to stick it in." -- Arlo Guthrie