[OM] Re: [OT] Tsunami Images

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Tsunami Images
From: "James N. McBride" <jnmcbr@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 12:33:26 -0700
Thank you. Still frightening stuff. Oceans are beautiful things but
sometimes it's good to be a simple old country boy way up in the mountains.
We have a different kind of tidal wave here. Snow avalanches are claiming
far too many lives this year. Sometimes people get in them because of
stupidity and other times they just don't know about the hazards. The people
recently buried in Utah were told to not go in the area and did it anyway.
The worst situation is when a person behaving badly triggers one that kills
innocent people. Many of the people that die in avalanches around here are
very experienced and simply get caught at the wrong place at the wrong time.
Yesterday a man died at Teton Village (near Jackson, Wyoming) from
ski-jumping off a 45 foot cliff and landing badly. It's not unusual for
people to jump off 90 footers there and they usually don't get hurt. These
people are extreme athletes and are usually carefully prepared for the
jumps. I love to play in the snow but try to be very careful. I'd much
rather die having sex someplace nice and warm.

/jmac