[OM] Re: 35mm Film

Subject: [OM] Re: 35mm Film
From: Glenn Stauffer <alaxsxaq@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 19:23:44 -0500
On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 17:56:49 -0000, Rob Smith <RobSmith@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Is it worth me getting better films?
> What should I be looking for in a good or bad one?
> Do some films (make and type rather than ASA) suit different scenery?
> Is there any simple advice or is this a completely open ended question?

I spent a good bit of time looking into films last year about this
time in preparation for a few trips where I would use film rather than
digital.  A fair amount of my research was done on photo.net.  Worth
doing some searching there.

For a trip to Chiapas, Mexico, I went with Fuji Velvia 100 and Provia
100.  They have different characteristics, but I had one camera
(Olympus XA) and didn't have the ability to try to match the film to
the scene.  I should have taken my other XA and loaded it with 400
film to give me more options for indoor shots, but I got on just fine.
 I did not do any really close analysis of the images but there is
nothing about either film that adversely affected my shots.

I have since primarily switched over to Fuji NPH 400 and Kodak Ultra
Color 400UC.  This is primarily because I use my Leica M6 more now and
want the latitude to not be meter-bound.  I'm pleased with the image
quality from both films.

Glenn