[OM] [OT] M*nolta 7D and C*non 20D, was: Evolt review

Subject: [OM] [OT] M*nolta 7D and C*non 20D, was: Evolt review
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 10:45:14 -0500
CH said:
The P*ntax and M*nolta DSLR has the biggest focusing screen (compared
with other DSLR only), you may have a look.
Went to the local camera store recently.  Since I have already decided
to pass on the Oly E-1 and P*ntax *ist DS for reasons other than
viewfinders, I didn't make any further attempts to compare them with
other cameras.  I had been waiting to see a M*nolta 7D to compare with
the C*non 20D since the 7D has some very nice ergonomics and I thought
that I had read (but can't recall where) a superior view finder.

However, now that I have had a chance to compare them side-by-side in
relatively dim camera store lighting, I can't see that there's really
any noticeable difference between them.  The 7D does have
interchangeable screens which was an attraction until I got conflicting
reports about whether the screen was user changeable.

At first I thought that the viewfinder claim was true and that the 7D
was brighter until I realized that the 7D was fitted with a faster lens.
  After having lenses changed to near equivalence the difference
disappeared.

The 7D was also attractive since its controls have a lot of resemblance
to the A1 that I already own and the camera already seemed familiar when
I picked it up.  However, features on the 20D such as superior flash
sync speed, faster operating speed and fast, low light focusing
capability will probably win me over.

Chuck Norcutt