[OM] Was e-300, now - Tell the truth about size.

Subject: [OM] Was e-300, now - Tell the truth about size.
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 09:59:52 EST

In a message dated 1/17/2005 8:07:37 AM Central Standard Time,
jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

I'm  still trying to figure out what it all means, but in the meantime I am
not  dismissing the E-1 so long as the images are good, provided you can
accept  its limitations, mainly some noise and no on-board  flash.

I tend to be more of a "If the results look good, use it" kind of guy,
rather than one who analyzes the technical data until I absolutely know I've
made
the right decision about my equipment.  That being said, let me see a  show of
hands from all those on the list who regularly make 16 X 20 prints from
their 35mm slides/negatives.  Anybody regularly making them bigger  than 16 X
20?
Hmm, not very many hands up out there in Zuikoland. In  my experience with
the e-1, I think any who like the results they are getting  with film that are
at 16 X 20 and hanging on the wall, are going to be pleased  with the results
they get with the e-1.  Although I've seen 20 X 30 prints  made from the e-1
which are spectacular, I cannot tell you I've gone that large  with my Epson
1280.  Guess I'd need a Singer to stitch the paper  together.

I'm regularly entering prints made with my e-1 which are larger than 11 X  14
in competition with those made with cameras of various other formats and
capture media, and the technical limitations of the 4/3 sensor has never  been
an
issue.  The bottom line question for me is, "Do the images  look good hanging
on the wall and does the size or perceived limitations of  the sensor,
distract from the finished product?"  My answer is  "no."

What many will find when they add digital capture to the set of tools
available to them is that the breadth of there photography experience has been
greatly expanded.  I say it is not just about an ability to capture on a
different media, but rather expanding the boundaries of your work.  I went
digital
for an ability to capture and print my own work.  What I got was  that and a
great deal more.

For those who are sitting on the fence are perhaps ruminating about "should
I or shouldn't I?", I'd say, if you can afford the price of admission, get
after  it.  Which camera is part of the rumination.  My advice, for whatever
it
is worth, is to go with the e-1 or e-300, if you have a nice stable of  Zuiko
glass.  If not, then evaluate all the different offerings and then  make a
decision, but do make a decision.  You will not regret it.

So, boys and girls, what this nontechnical guy would say is, "If it feels
good, do it."  Oops, guess I'm showing my age again.  What I meant to  say was,
"If the results look good, use it."  The results produced with the  e-1 will
look good.  Bill Barber