[OM] Re: Zuiko 35-105 question

Subject: [OM] Re: Zuiko 35-105 question
From: "Julian Davies" <julian_davies@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 11:54:14 -0000
I think Simon's point is that the camera body doesn't know the relationship
between the maximum aperture and the indexed aperture since the maximum is
variable and the indexed isn't.

The answer is to meter using the constant aperture dot, since this limits
the maximum aperture and sets the relationship to the next smaller aperture
as a constant. The lens will then actually behave as a constant max aperture
lens, ie the aperture closes down all on its own as you zoom out,
independently of the stop down lever. On the 35-70 there is a noticeable
dimming of the viewfinder as you move from max to constant aperture at the
35mm setting, but of course no further dimming as you stop down further
unless you push the DOF preview.
Metering at max aperture will caused the error Simon describes. Of course in
OTF auto, this is all academic.

Julian