[OM] Re: Epson 2200

Subject: [OM] Re: Epson 2200
From: Matthew Born <mborn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 09:17:14 -0500
It's the Yahoo group "digital black and white the print."

A fantastic resource -- 5,000 subscribers, low noise content, good people.
Not too many dustups; in fact, given the size of the group, remarkably low.
I think it's safe to say the men/women who are the movers & shakers on that
list are absolutely the forefront of digital black and white. And there's a
real crossover of workflows -- folks shooting film, scanning, and printing
it digitally; folks shooting digitally and printing digitally; folks making
digital negs and printing traditionally; etc. And then there's lots of
variations within each approach -- Jon Cone's system, MIS inks, the software
RIPs (of which there are several), "black only" printing. If you're at all
interested in black and white printing via digital means, I highly recommend
it. But I'll say this again -- a black & white print made on my crummy
little $49 Epson C82 with the OEM Epson black and Paul's dedicated b&w inks
in the color spots so completely, utterly, and totally blows the b&w prints
made on my 2200 with OEM Ultrachromes out of the water that you'd be stunned
to see it. Couple that with the good color from the 1270 (Tom's right, if
longevity isn't a big issue, the 'pop' from the gamut of the dyes can't be
beat) and you're all set. Oh, and if you stick to the OEM Epson black ink,
you can print on both glossy and matte with the same inkset. Otherwise ya
gotta pick between the black ink for matte and the black ink for glossy.