[OM] Diesels...

Subject: [OM] Diesels...
From: Matthew Born <mborn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 09:24:23 -0500
Agreed. I don't know about the rest of the world, but when I bought my Golf
two years ago, I seriously considered a TDI. Word on the VW digest was that
they were somewhat troublesome in the early years, a fact I think they've
significantly cleared up, and a handful of the service items were quite a
bit more expensive than those on the 2.0 gas engine. But the TDI had a lot
more torque, and the engine was smooth, quiet, and didn't smoke or smell a
whit. In the end I might have still gone for it, service issues
notwithstanding, but it was a solid $2,000 more than the gas engine version.
So the reduced cost argument ain't flyin'.

As for longevity, my other car is a Volvo, one of many I've had. As a
longtime member of the owner's club, I've personally put my behind in
numerous Volvos with way over 300,000 miles on them, most of which have
never even had the head off. There are at least two in the club with over a
million miles on them, one of which is now over 2 million (he gets lots of
media attention from time to time). Heck, there are quite a few folks on the
bricks digest with turbos that have 300,000 miles on them. So longevity is
by no means the province of diesels.

OM Content: uh... I went out with my 4-year old son Gus yesterday and made
some pix in Valley Forge. Shot with my OM-1 and 100/2.8. Dunno if I got
anything yet. I actually used three filters (not at the same time, of course
:) ) and took notes, an astonishing departure from my usual madness, which
generally results in a good shot about which I can't recall any of the
specifics. He was using his brand spankin' new N*kon 110 p&s (via Santa).
He's in love with the zoom lens. He sets up on his tripod right next to me
and the entire time I'm working I hear "Whir. Whirrrrrr. Whir. Whirrrrrrrrr.
Whir. Whir. Whir. Whirrrrrrrrrr." Life is good.

Matthew Born