[OM] Re: scanning slides and negative

Subject: [OM] Re: scanning slides and negative
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 18:52:54 -0800
> From: John Hudson <OM4T@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> I am presently scanning 100 ISO Provia slides shot with my 35/80 /f2.8
> zoom
> and Fuji NPS 160 negatives shot with my 24 / f2.8 MC Zuiko...
> To my eyes there is a noticeable difference in the clarity and on
> screen
> sharpness between the slide and negative scans. Without exception the
> slide
> scans are superior to the negative scans.
>
> To what extent is this noticeable difference attributable to
> differences in
> the optical quality and characteristics of each lens and the nature of
> the
> two films?

I'd say it's 99.995% film; sigma -5 the lenses.

Especially for low contrast situations, the positive scan will nearly
always best the neg scan.

Plus your neg speed was faster, so things aren't very equal. Provia is
known for fine grain, but I'm not familiar with NPS.

The only time I prefer neg film -- especially if the destination is
scanning -- is in very high contrast situations, where the greater
latitude of the film is more important than the RMS grain frequency.

:::: Some call it vision; some call it temporal lobe epilepsy.
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>