[OM] Re: [OT] Computers and stuff

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Computers and stuff
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 23:17:25 -0800
on 1/5/05 9:29 AM, Winsor Crosby at wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Two new ones have been recently come out for the Mac. They may have PC
> versions as well.
>
> http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/matias-tactilepro-keyboard-review.html
>
> Kensington has also announced one.
>

> Winsor
> Long Beach, California, USA
> On Jan 5, 2005, at 9:06 AM, PhotoSphere Olympus Camera Service wrote:
>

>>> I miss the old buckling-spring keyboards. That's the biggest thing I
>>> miss about my old PCs. That clackety-clack of typing on a
>>> buckling-spring keyboard was the best. Nothing beats the tactile
>>> response of those keyboards. When the new "silent" keyboards started
>>> popping up in the early 90's I thought they were a fad and then they
>>> completely replaced the old buckling-spring models. Sad.

The best keyboard I ever used was a Northgate. These used to be sold
separately, they ran about $75 or so back in the day, but I always had a Mac
at home so I didn't buy one for my personal use (though I considered getting
one to replace the incredibly spongy cheap and unsatisfying keyboard on the
PC at one job). Some time ago I bought the old original Apple Extended
Keyboard, for a lot (~$150 or so) which comes close to the Northgate. Takes
up a lot of desktop space (sometimes referred to as 'the surfboard'...) but
has nice springy/clicky keys and seems to be reliable several thousand hours
of use later... One of my chief regrets when I get my next Mac is that they
don't use ADB anymore so this keyboard will probably be unable to make the
upgrade. I wish they'd come out with a USB version! I do have a couple of
the newer Apple keyboards, and they aren't as nice.
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...