[OM] Re: OM3 flash with no batteries????

Subject: [OM] Re: OM3 flash with no batteries????
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 18:28:09 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 5 Jan 2005, Tim Hughes wrote:

> The OM3 can work completely manually with no batteries, but the flash does
> not then work, as far as I understand?

The OM-3 and OM-3Ti both use a mechanical switch to trigger the flash, no
batteries are required.  I just double checked it in the manuals and found
this interesting (somewhat related) passage:

  Since the CPU is used only for indications in model OM-3, it cannot detect
  release of the shutter.  SC circuit clears indications by tenatively
  setting the CPU in the OFF mode after shuttter releases.

So in essence you're "rebooting" the OM-3 every time you press the shutter.
And you thought Windows was bad :-)
                                -mark