[OM] re Shooting Glaciers and Snow (in Patagonia)

Subject: [OM] re Shooting Glaciers and Snow (in Patagonia)
From: "Adam Long" <adamlong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 12:16:58 -0000
Fernando -
Nice to see someone remembers my pics!! However I've changed my web host since
- here are some links which should work!

http://www.zen59200.zen.co.uk/Adam/Galleries/135mm/patagon/patagon.htm
http://www.zen59200.zen.co.uk/Adam/Galleries/135mm/patagon/patagall.htm

>All pics OM4ti or OM1n with a selection of lenses from 21 to 400(sigma)mm -
>basically everything I could fit in a Lowepro mini trekker. Tripod was a
>benbo trekker - not ideal but it did the job!
>On the mountain I took 21/3.5, 28/2.8 and 50~250/5 with the 4ti. Show me a
>rival system that could give such a compact, versatile kit! No place for
>carting a wunderbrick...

two years on I'd still take the same kit. I've given up hoping for a
manufacturer to produce a new camera as well suited to mountains as the OM4ti.
Only problem is mine is starting to show its age... perhaps I should save up
for a NIB 3ti!

Enrique-
Here's my usual method for metering on snow. I only shoot colour slide though -
In auto...
Spotmeter off the brightest area of snow.
Press Highlight button.
Shoot. (If you're taking more than one shot, flick the memo lever first)

In manual... (my 'default')
Spotmeter off the brightest area of snow
Spotmeter off something more midtoned - Blue sky/ rocks/ back of hand etc
Line up spots so snow is around +2 stops, midtone around central
Shoot.

If the light isn't changing you need only do this occasionally. Bear in mind
you'll often need a different exposure shooting into the light than against.
This is where the OM 4 beats an incident meter.

If its sunny, I often have a polariser on. The altitudes aren't too high so the
skies don't get over-darkened (a common problem with polarisers in the
mountains). It can be worth taking a light warm up/ skylight filter (to
counteract the blueness of mountain light) if you're planning on going high.

The main problem with photographing in patagonia though is the weather. It's
terrible. Expect a half-day of good weather in every three days. If you want to
capture one of the classic mountain sunrise shots you either have to be lucky
or persistent. I used a lot of Kodak Elite Chrome extra colour 100 which is
great in dull conditions. Things improve away from the mountains though,
especially the Pampas which are very dry. Wind is a problem though, take care
when changing films.

Take lots of batteries, especially if you intend taking night shots on auto!!

have a good trip - look forward to seeing some shots in a few months...
Adam