[OM] I am ruined

Subject: [OM] I am ruined
From: Earl Dunbar <edunbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 15:26:40 -0800
I have had a hard time keeping up with the list over the last several
weeks.  Part of this is sloth, part the interruption of holiday travel,
etc.  My first New Years resolution was to not obsess about it, so far I
am keeping this resolution!

Now, on to my ruination, which is DEFINITELY the fault of this list of
evil bastards, er., enablers...

Many on the list are of the age to remember the polio epidemic of the
late 40s to earl 50s.  It did not spare my family, as my mother and a
cousin died of the virus, while I sustained muscle atrophy to my left
leg.  The result has been a fairly normal left save the necessity of
using a forearm crutch, originally know as a "Canadian crutch"; I assume
it was of Canadian invention.

Well, over the past several months I discovered that the crutches
generally available through the US' infernal health care "system"
(steady Earl; ... DO......... NOT..........
GO..........OFF............TOPIC) have been seriously degraded in terms
of quality.  Manufacture has been moved off-shore.  Since the last "good
known" unit I had broke last June, I have used crutches of Chinese and
Taiwanese origin and their quality has ranged  between awful and
diasastrous.

After being hurt and nearly hurt more than once, I engaged my HMO
provider (DO.... NOT .... GO .... OFF ...... TOPIC) via phone (IVRs....
DO.... NOT .... GO .... OFF ...... TOPIC) and did some web research for
other alternatives.  To make a very long story as short as possible, I
decided that titanium crutches from Thomas Fetterman were what I
needed.  They have a 10 year guarantee, which compared to breaking other
units at least once a month, makes their $795/pair pricetage peanuts.  I
even got my HMO (FINALLY) to agree to cover the cost (though I haven't
seen the check yet), though I had to front the initial purchase price.

After some difficulty with the ordering process, I finally received the
new, custom-made crutches (one for backup) on December 9.

Yowza!!!  Not only are the superbly engineered and manufactured, but
man, is that titanium finish GORGEOUS!  I am now ambulating with much
more confidence, my stress level is much lower, and yeah, baby, I'm stylin'.

So why am I "ruined"?  I think you all know the answer, dammit.  Anyone
want to sell me a titanium OM to match my locomotive appliance?  Must be
REAL cheap just in case my HMO (DO.... NOT .... GO .... OFF ......
TOPIC) changes their mind wrt reimbursement.

Earl