[OM] Re: [photos] Winter Woods

Subject: [OM] Re: [photos] Winter Woods
From: Richard Lovison <sylv4700@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2005 10:18:52 -0800 (PST)
Thanks for the compliments Chris.  :)

Yes, a 2 hour walk, one hour in and one hour out.  There is wooded land
everywhere here.  Our home and neighbors' homes are surrounded by
forest with Shaw Pond 500-600 feet away.  Not very much old growth
left.  I imagine most of this area was clear 100 years ago or so.  When
I walk through the woods I often come across low stone walls hidden
amongst the brush and tree roots that marked property boundaries years
ago and I find them in the oddest places.  There's a 10' cube structure
made from stone in the middle of the stream up the mountain (or big,
big hill depending on your definition).  I have no idea what that was
for.  I climbed to the top thinking I might find the remnants of wood
thinking this structure might have been a foundation for a mill but
found nothing.  Very strange whatever it was.  Sacrificial altar?  Ya
never know what those colonists were up to. :)

Richard

--- Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Beautiful Richard!
>
> You manage a 2-hour walk in the woods eh?  Around here the woods are
> so scarce you could almost walk for 2 hours without finding one.
This
> is not strictly true, but so much land is under cultivation to gain
> subsidies or "set aside" for subsidies to reduce over-production of
> one foodstuff or another that we have little land still under woods.
> Where there are woods, of course, is beautiful.  There's one of
around > 10 acres (a guess on my part, it takes around 20 minutes to
walk along > a path from one side to another) about a mile away from my
home, and

http://mail.yahoo.com