[OM] Re: New member with question about 100/F2

Subject: [OM] Re: New member with question about 100/F2
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 18:50:23 +1300
Martin wrote

> I will finish with a question about the 100/2. I am still getting used
> to this lens and focussing is a little tricky at large apertures (I
> haven?t shot with anything over 50mm for quite a while). The DOF is
> quite small compared with the WAs that I'm used to

Hi Martin & all,

I have one of these lenses, and I also have struggled with it and not
infrequently still do, in an effort to extract the sharp definition it is
reported to
have.

Despite being told by the list that all 100mm lenses have the same DOF, I
also think the DOF is shallower with this lens than for comparable lenses. I
used to think about doing a comparative test to check if my assertion is
correct, but have not yet got a round tuit.

Aspects that I have found to require particular attention with this lens, are
as
follows:

1) Get the DOF right for the shot you are doing. Sometimes next to
impossible.
The only alternative might be a larger format camera and a standard lens.

2) Hold the camera and lens rock steady. *Really* steady. The tripod should
feel as though it is anchored to mother earth.

3) Use a camera with aperture prefire and mirror lock up, if at all possible.
Candidates are the OM4T, the OM2000, and some other OM2 variants that I
am not familiar with - others will probably chime in and add these details.
My lens has a *very* strong aperture return spring which I suspect may have
some influence on the sharpness of the images I get.

4) Place your hand heavily on the camera while exposing to dampen
vibrations even more.

Having said all that, one of my best (sharpest) shots taken with this lens was
hand-held, with camera in portrait position, I was lying on my side on
concrete and the camera was in me left hand the elbow of which was in
direct contact with the concrete.  This probably dampened vibrations in the
camera-lens system, considerably.

Keep trying; it's too rare a lens, and has too much of a good reputation, to
give up easily.

Go to this site for evidence of the need to minimise vibration
http://members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm

HTH,  Brian