[OM] Re: New member with question about 100/F2

Subject: [OM] Re: New member with question about 100/F2
From: Martin Walters <mwalters@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 14:59:06 -0500
Walt:
Obviously I am not as completely addicted as others.  I realize that
using converters is a practical, if imperfect, solution.  Though I have
gone the primes route (essentially for speed as the eyes age and I
oftern travel without flash), I like to carry things other than lenses
(food, water, you know). I don't expect to need the reach beyond
180-200mm often enough to justify something bigger and heavier. Thus, a
converter is an attractive option, depending on the extent of lens
degredation.

The 180mm 2.8 zuiko gets mixed reviews - some are very happy, others
not. The Tamron 180 usually crops up as the "preferred alternative".
While rare, it seems somewhat cheaper than the Zuiko as well (US$400-ish
as opposed to $600-ish based on recent KEH prices).

Martin