[OM] Re: TOPE 20 - Cruise Ship in Saint John

Subject: [OM] Re: TOPE 20 - Cruise Ship in Saint John
From: Andrew Gullen <andrew.gullen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 06:21:55 -0500
on 2004/12/11 3:49 AM, David Carter at spotz@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Why do all cruise ships seem to be white?
>
> http://www.tope.nl/tope_show_entry.php?pic=23&event=20
>
> When other money making maritime ventures are in the company colours.
>
> Is it a passenger ship thing?
> Noting that some freighters carry passengers as "freight".

Well, I don't know, but that won't stop me speculating freely. :-)

 - White keeps the ship cooler in tropical places, which would
   have been important before air conditioning.

 - White looks clean, which is reassuring if you're going to live
   aboard for a while.

 - It evokes wearing white for summer (a class thing) and white uniforms.
   Colonial privilege.

 - White says "this is not a freighter".

Anybody know?

Andrew