[OM] Re: ( OM ) on the topic of fisheye lenses

Subject: [OM] Re: ( OM ) on the topic of fisheye lenses
From: "Andreas Pirner" <AndreasPirner@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 21:41:57 +0100
Brian Swale wrote:
> Pity the image is not rectilinear!
> Given the curvature applied to straight lines by the 16mm,
> it is amazing that the Samyang 18-28 lens I have manages
> to deliver straight lines at 18mm.

Don't confuse the optical design differences
of rectilinear wide angle lenses and fish eye
lenses. The first tries to keep lines straight.
They are built 'down' to 15mm, even 14mm lenses
(i.e. Sigma). Fish eye lenses project a half
sphere with curving lines as part of the design.
16 mm puts the sphere 'around' the 24x36 film
frame, roughly giving the 180? angel of view
across the diagonal. An 8mm puts the whole
sphere as a circle image into the 24x36 frame.
There are 6mm fish eye lenses giving even more
than a 180? sphere.

Andreas