[OM] Re: OM4 to OM4t board circuit

Subject: [OM] Re: OM4 to OM4t board circuit
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 17:26:49 -0000
Surely the battery check test will only tell you if a particular OM-4 body
has the early or later OM-4 electronics?  For Super FP flash, you need
OM-4Ti electronics, which seems to me to be a different ball-game.  As you,
Jeff, I defer to others, but with the added caution that we are talking here
of a conversion to be done for a camera in Europe.  If it were sent to John
or Clint, the tax and duty on re-import would be something like 20% of the
invoice cost + shipping.  :-(

More important, though, is whetehr what is the proposed use is feasible
anyway since, as the shutter speed increases, so the effective guide number
decreases. Quite significantly.

Using ASA100 film, at 1/1000 sec the maximum working distance (excluding the
effect of ambient light) is 2.5 meters at f/1.4, decreasing to less than 1
meter at f/4.

If you want to freeze rapid motion in subjects more than a meter from the
camera, you don't need (or want) an F280/OM-4Ti - the flash duration of
*any* other electronic flash will freeze the action for you with your OM-4.
For the likely cost of re-engineering the OM-4 you could get probably an
electronic flash to fill Nôtre Dame!

--
Piers