[OM] Re: which marco flash?

Subject: [OM] Re: which marco flash?
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 09:15:23 EST

In a message dated 12/8/2004 4:34:05 AM Central Standard Time,
jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

I plan  at some point to buy 80 and 135mm macro lenses but they are few and
far  between on ebay at the moment. So I was wondering about which flash to
buy.  I want as natural photos as possible without hash colours or lots  of
shadows.

My 2 cents worth:

When you get serious about wanting the 135mm f4.5 or anything else OM, you
might be pleased with the results of posting a WTB message to this  list.

Flash Question:

T-8 will give the softest light with a Guide number of 26 in feet  at ISO of
100.

T-10 will produce flat lighting like the T-8 with less softness at  a Guide
number of 33 in feet at ISO of 100. Certainly brighter  than the T-8, however I
don't know that it is of great significance in macro  work especially when
some of the macro lenses produce their best results opened  up rather than
closed down.  There are several third party flashes which  will do as good a
job as
the t-10.  The Sun-Pak line has a couple that come  to mind. Not as common,
but perhaps a little easier on the pocketbook.

T-28 allows you more control of the lighting produced and therefore more
control of the appearence of the final image.

There is no reason you can not use your T-20 or T-32 flashes with a macro
set up on your OM. I would think they could be used alone or in conjuction
with
the macro flashes.

Bill Barber