[OM] [OM power bounce grip 2 - reprise

Subject: [OM] [OM power bounce grip 2 - reprise
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2004 09:36:04 -0500
With a lot of snipping by me, Fernando said:
Last Wednesday I found a LNIB PBG 2, with .3m conn and TTL conn 4.
Price is USD 100. Does it seem to be a sensible price?

Very good price for all three pieces.  One could easily expect to pay
USD 75-100 for a LNIB PBG-2 without the cable and connector.

Just finished doing a fairly extensive (and difficult) search into the
archives, and read the esif too. Despite very helpful inmates posts, I
remain in doubt about some of its features (perhaps my English is not up
to a full comprehension). Same happens with the esif data: about when
does and when doesn't the PBG 2 power up the T-32. And a rubber thing on
its front part. And 5 (five !?) ways to fix it to a tripod...

PBG 2 is not being sold with its manual (neither its cardboard or any
other case).  I wonder if someone here would be so kind to scan the
original manual and email the file offlist.

You apparently didn't scroll to the bottom of the eSIF page
<http://olympus.dementia.org/eSIF/om-sif/flashphotogroup/power_bounce_grip.htm>
and locate the link to the manual in PDF form.  Note that the manual has
a Spanish section.

Refer to the illustration on page 5 of the manual.  Note the "power
plug" at the top.  When the T-32 is mounted on the BG-2 its "external
power socket" (to the left of the BG-2 in the illustration ) plugs into
the "power plug" on the BG-2 and draws power from the C batteries in the
BG-2's handle.  Using C batteries in the BG-2 will allow faster flash
recycling and more flashes due to the greater capacity of C batteries
vs. AA batteries.

However, as long as the T-32 has AA batteries installed, operation on
the BG-2 does *not require* that you place C batteries in the BG-2.
Also,  the T-32 allows, but does *not require*, AA batteries to be
installed in the flash if it is being powered by the BG-2.  Other
flashes (like my Sunpak 522) may require that batteries be installed in
the flash itself to power the low voltage electronics even though an
external high voltage source is being used to charge the flash
capacitor.  For example, the T-32 can be powered by an external high
voltage battery pack like the Quantum Turbo without needing any AA
batteries installed in the flash.

The eSIF comment about the rubber plug refers to the flash extender.
<http://olympus.dementia.org/eSIF/om-sif/flashphotogroup/flash_extender.htm>
I'm not sure why anyone would want to use the flash extender on a BG-2
but the comment simply points out that it is possible to do so by
removing the rubber plug on its front.  If you do, the flash is raised
by the extender and cannot connect to the "power plug".  It won't be
able to draw power from the C batteries in the BG-2.

As to "5 (five !?) ways to fix it to a tripod" refer to the illustration
of the bracket section on page 6.  You will notice that there are 5
holes in the bracket including the one containing the (inappropriately
named) "tripod screw".  This screw is for attaching the camera to the
bracket and not to a tripod as the name might imply.  It can be
unscrewed and re-installed in any of the five holes in the bracket.
This allows for adjusting the balance of the camera/BG-2/flash assembly.
  There is only a single 1/4-20 threaded hole on the underside of the
bracket for attaching to a tripod.

PS: If I tape the front-right contact, should it behave as connected to
a plain OM-2?  What if I want to plug a TTL conn to a second T-32. Would
it work OK?  Almost tongue in cheek, bit not completely: which and how
do I tape a TTL conn pin to a second T-32 to make it behave like a plain 2?

There is no need to tape any contacts regardless of the type of camera.
  If used on an OM-2 with TTL Auto Connector Type 3 there will simply be
no connection at the camera for the ready light indication.

Note that the BG-2 has a TTL connector at its base.  Refer again to page
5 of the manual and note the "TTL Auto Cord Socket" at the bottom of the
illustration.  Plug the short TTL cord from the camera into this socket
(or into the TTL socket at the side of the T-32).  Use the other socket
to chain to the TTL socket of a second T-32.  It doesn't matter which
socket is used to attach to camera or second flash.

Chuck Norcutt