[OM] Re: OT, painting of Concorde, now bombing ranges

Subject: [OM] Re: OT, painting of Concorde, now bombing ranges
From: Gary Edwards <zuikowarriors@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 19:55:20 -0800 (PST)
I'm just back from a second trip to White Sands Missile Range in the last two
weeks. Spent much of the time out there walking the Range looking for small
pieces of a certain missile.  I came across two unexploded 250 pounders,
dating, I was told by EOD, back to the '70s.  I've seen all I want to of
bombing ranges just now. . .

Still, there would have been some nice photo opportunities there (e.g., sunset
light on the San Andres Mountains behind a Black Brant lawn-darted into the
desert) but, sadly, I was limited to mission-related photography.

Gary Edwards

Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

That's the place Gareth. The range is Garvie Island, off Faraid Head.
The title "Cape Wrath" is just an indication as it's not too far from
the target. We used Cape Wrath as a fix to find the target when I was
on Tornados (with the radar, it's called offset bombing), but when I
was on Jaguars we accepted whatever the IN system told us and bombed
the rock!

It would be a great place for photography, but my wife wants to go
somewhere warm for our hols ...

Chris

On 2 Dec 2004, at 7:46, Gareth.J.Martin wrote:

> Great site. I can remember having the pleasure of watching some
> practice
> bombing at Faraid Head while on a geology field trip there. It was very
> impressive if not completely accurate! I would imagine seeing live
> bombing on Cape Wrath would have been even more impressive (from afar
> that is). I wish I'd taken my camera.
>
> All the best,
> Gareth.

 The all-new My Yahoo! ? Get yours free!