[OM] Re: Great E-1 150/2.0 pix on dpreview.com

Subject: [OM] Re: Great E-1 150/2.0 pix on dpreview.com
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 15:08:10 -0000
I'm not sure if you are actually suggesting what I think you might be
suggesting Skip - but this is my understanding of what follows from what you
say.

... the DoF characteristics of a 150mm lens on an image format which is
smaller than that of a 35mm camera.  On a film camera, for a given focal
length, as the format gets smaller, so the DoF gets narrower.  I suspect
something similar applies to digital, though what size the relevant circle
of confusion would be - no idea!

Another way of visualizing this would be to ignore focal length, and say
that an extreme telephoto has very little DoF, and a wide angle has plenty -
and that applies regardless of what format you are using.

I may have got the theory a*se-upwards - but never mind, what does the
practice show in your experience?

--
Piers